Mar 21, 2012

Did we owe taxes this year?

 Mark 12:17 (NKJV)

"And Jesus answered and said to them, 'Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.' And they marveled at Him."

As tax season started to approach, I began to question what status to file my tax return under. Should I file my tax return as "married" or "married and separate?" For three years, during our physical separation, I had filed "married and separate." But, during the past year and for the first time, my husband started to pay our household bills and allowed me to stand home and provide care to our youngest son.  I wondered, "Isn't it fair that he should receive a tax break too?"

So, one day I shared my intentions with my husband. "We should file our taxes together this year." My husband responded with gratitude. Sadly, what he didn't share with me at the time was the fact that he had allowed his taxes to become a chaotic and troublesome state of affairs. In fact, during those three years, my husband had accrued a large debt to both the State and Federal government systems.

Still, I felt convicted to file our taxes as a married couple. Therefore, I made an appointment with H & R Block. "Maybe they can figure out this mess," I thought.

Unexpectedly though, on the morning of the appointment I began to feel knots growing in my stomach. I called my husband. "I need to hear you pray before I go file our taxes." My husband began to pray, "Lord, help put us back on track as a family. I am trying harder than I have ever tried before. Help me do what is right and what You would have me do. In Your precious Son's name, Amen."  Instant calmness!

Later, on the way to the tax preparation office I sang worship music. I felt hopeful that God would soon fix our financial worries. Just after shaking hands with the tax preparer, I shared my personal testimony http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html. She remained quiet as she began to input our data. When she had finished she looked at me and said, "I'm a Christian too." I couldn't help but smile. I thought to myself, "Of course you are!"

Within an hour, our current year tax return was completed and ready to file. A refund! The amount was almost enough to pay what we owed in back taxes.  And once again, we were able to testify to God's unfailing faithfulness! Thank you Lord!

Please share your thoughts in the comments section below! 
To read the first written and published personal testimony please go to: http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html
Post a Comment