Apr 27, 2012

How to Share Jesus Christ with Your Child. Faith and Works!

James 2:17-26 "Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.  But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your  works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?  Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." (NKJV)

Recently, while sorting through some old paperwork and childhood photos, I discovered a letter that I had written when I was still very young. Why had I kept this particular letter all those years? And, why now was I finding the letter? I wondered.
I turned the letter over and noticed that the aged envelope was still sealed. Utter curiosity! I opened the letter. Immediately, I noticed that the common typewriter paper appeared artfully antiqued. I began to read. "To Whom it May Concern, My name is Donna Harpster and I am curious about something. You see, a couple of weeks ago, I started to feel like something was really missing in my life."
Since I had no immediate recollection of writing this letter, I was eager to read on. "Well the other day while I was watching the news and hearing about all the murders, I started to think about the pink card that I attached to the back of my drivers license...I began to wonder if it would be possible to donate some organs now to someone in need of them." As I finished reading the letter, I noticed the date that was carefully typed on the upper right hand corner of the paper. 2/28/89. I was eighteen-years-old!
Back then, I called myself a Christian, though I didn’t become a true Christian until age thirty eight. Up until that time, I rarely walked with integrity and had not surrendered my life to Jesus Christ. In fact, as a teenager, my behavior was quite contradictory to my profession of faith. In my heart, I knew I was walking away, day by day, from the light of Christ. I told others that I loved the Lord, but I was acting otherwise-drinking, partying and doing anything else that gained attention. I felt lost without God and shameful for my sins. Perhaps that is why I wrote this letter. Was the letter my way of crying out to God, "If I help others, will You take me back?" My eyes welled with tears!
Instantly, I vividly flashed back to the day I had presented this letter to my mother for her approval. I was standing by the side of her bed as I handed her the letter. "What do you think Ma?" I asked. She read the letter quietly to herself. Then she said, "Do you know what you are saying? You will have to live on dialysis for the rest of your life!" Discouraged, I placed the letter in the envelop, sealed it and tucked the letter away, never to read it again, until now.         
As I return to the present day and read the letter once again as a true believer in Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I am filled with emotions. What would I say if any of my children handed me the very same letter today? Perhaps I would stop at the first first line and say, "Only God can fill that void you are feeling!" Then, I would share about how having faith in Jesus has changed my life. I would explain what happened to me after I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart and first learned that I was forgiven. I would tell my child about my new heart that desires to please God.  I would explain that my desire to good things for others, and showing my love for them them is a reflection of God's love for me. If the Spirit moved me, I might even offer to read the sinner's prayer with my child and open the door to healing. Still, I could grab for my bible and share James chapter two with him or her. I could talk about how good works are not the cause, but the fruit and result of salvation. What an opportunity to open the door for discussion about my child's level of faith!
         With the letter still in my grasp and resting on my lap below. I once again read a sentence typed in bold face. "...It's just me, trying to give the Gift of life to someone." My eyes well with tears. I finally knew exactly how to share the gift of life with someone!


Please share your thoughts in the comments section below! 
To read this author's personal testimony please go to: http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate