Dec 4, 2013

Trying to Bless God's Heart this Christmas!


Proverbs 21:1 “My heart is in the hand of the Lord,
as the rivers of water: He turns it whithersoever He will.” (KJV)

Recently I asked the LORD, “What can I do that would bless Your heart this Christmas?” God quickly replied.

I had decided to watch television when I found myself captivated by a program that aired on the History Channel. Holocaust survivors were sharing their personal stories of survival. I wept! As the tears flowed, I felt a whisper in my heart speak to the thoughts in my head, “Show loving-kindness to My people.”

The following day, something peculiar happened. Our next door neighbor approached me and offered a large bag of day old bagels and cream cheese. He said, “I’m sure you will know who to give these to.” The wheels in my head began to spin enthusiastically. I immediately thought, “Perhaps a nearby Jewish Temple.” I planned on offering the bagel surprise the next day. However, overnight the bagels hardened. Surely God deserved better! So, I decided to bring God's chosen one's the best Kugel, Potato Latkes or Brisket I could find.

Later the same day, I asked the receptionist at our trailer park, "Can you please help me find the nearest delicatessen?" She tried to offer a suggestion, but after few hours of driving around town in search of a deli, I was loosing hope. So, I stopped to pray. Immediately afterwards, I learned about one Delicatessen that sold potato Latkes. However, by then, I was too late to place my request into the chef for the day. So, I returned home.

The next morning, I woke up feeling refreshed and prepared to keep my promise. I eagerly drove to Wal-Mart and purchased the most beautiful platter and matching bowl that I could find. Then, I returned to the same Delicatessen as the night before. God led me straight to the manager. Right away, I shared my testimony with her. Amazingly, the woman then encouraged all of her staff to help me in my desire to please God.

Afterward, I drove to the nearest Jewish Temple to offer my Hanukkah gift. I almost overlooked the small, humble and hidden building tucked into a neighborhood of modest homes.  I walked up the ramp of the modular building and searched for an office door.  Once inside, I greeted the mild-mannered woman sitting behind her office desk. “These are for you,” I said as I handed her the platter of Latkes. Under her breath, the woman softly replied, “I can smell them,” as her eyes welled with tears. Then, I began to speak in Hebrew. “Baruch Hashem Adonai.” I said, which means “Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

The woman asked if I was Jewish. I touched her arm and replied, “No, I’m a Christian.” “Wow.” She said several times. Then, I told her how God had placed her and Temple Beth Ami on my heart. I shared my testimony. Afterward, I practiced a little more Hebrew by saying, “"She Elohim yevarach otha.” The woman began to thank me abundantly. All I could say was, “Not me. Only Elohim! It’s all Elohim!”

As I turned to leave, I watched the woman grab for her desk phone. She said, “I’m going to call the Rabbi and the entire Board right now!” I wished her “Happy Hanukkah,” and slowly walked away.

During the drive home, my own eyes welled with tears as I imagined the profound effect one humble gesture could have on a person’s heart. “Merry Christmas God!” I said out loud.
Please share your thoughts in the comments section below!
To read this author's personal testimony please go to: http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate