Nov 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day to all of our Soldiers. You are in my prayers!

I woke up early this morning to our little Chihuahua licking my face. I wondered, "What time is it?" I glanced over at the clock on the Charter Cable Box. 6:00am? That can't be right! I took a second look. Wow! As my military husband would say, "It's O'Dark Early!"

Almost immediately, I remembered today is Veteran's Day, September 11. I began to create my mental to do list. So much to do today. I have to remind people about the book launch so that I can raise relief funds and help out our local troops returning from war. I want to bake a cake for the homeless family I met yesterday. But most of all, I need to spend some time with my own family. My husband wants to go to Apple bees for a free military meal. I hope I can fit it all in. I started to pet our family dog for a few minutes. Then I kissed her cheek and brushed her aside. I was ready to begin my day.

Unlike usual, I checked my email before grabbing my bible and a cup of coffee. I figured, "I still have plenty of time before anyone wakes up." In my email box, was a daily bible verse. Today's verse was 2 Corinthians 2:14. The verse spoke to the Victory we faced when obeying God's will. I thought, "Maybe I will be Victorious today with the book launch. Surely the Good Lord knows my heart and how hard I have tried to please Him with this effort."


Next, I read a disheartening email from Samaritan's Purse about a bombing to a refugee camp in South Sudan. Suddenly, I thought of of our young men and woman out in a desert surrounded by bombs and my chest began to hurt. As God would have it, I instantly recalled a documentary I watched over a month ago. The film makers relied on behind-the-scenes footage from front-line soldiers in Iraq. What broke my heart while watching this program was a comment from one particular soldier. He said, "I don't believe in God anymore. I prayed everyday that He would keep us safe, and then I lost a few of my buddies to road side bombs! So, why should I pray?" I remember thinking, "If I could only give this soldier a bible, then God could answer those questions directly. Then, HOPE would stand a chance!"

crying soldier
Suddenly, my daily to do list was replaced with concerns that were no longer about me. I decided that today, I would spend some extra time on my knees in prayer. I would pray for the Soldiers who had given up on believing in God. I would pray for those who have lost all hope.

In the past, when God answered my prayers, it was just after I had poured my heart out to Him. So, I promised myself today, what when I prayed, I would pray with a mother's heart, because I have taken on the roll of mother to a soldier whose family lives in my apartment complex. I will pray as a wife, because I am a wife of a soldier. I will pray as a daughter, because am a daughter of a military father. And, I will pray as a granddaughter to two Veteran grandfathers. But mostly, I will pray as a BELIEVER, because I trust the Lord when He says, "And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive (Matthew 21:22)."

With all of my heart, I wish a Happy Veteran's Day to all of our Soldiers. You are in my prayers and will continue to be!

 
To add your own name or family member's name to my prayer board, 
Write the name in the Comment Section of this post. 

May the Lord bless each of my reader's today with the Peace and Hope only
Jesus Christ can Give! 

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate