Apr 4, 2012

Isaiah 53:5 What Good Friday means to this new believer


Isaiah 53:5 (NKJV)

" But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed."

         Immediately following my baptism, mourning doves started perching themselves outside my humble little apartment. Each morning, I heard the sound of their cooing, "Who who who... who who who..." And as my heart filled with joy, I prayed, "Thank You Lord for the beautiful reminder of Your Spirit's presence!" 
        One day, my son asked, "Can we make the doves a bird feeder?"  He had seen a special on how to make a bird feeder using a pine cone and peanut butter. I thought, "What a great way to show our appreciation for my faithful snow white friends."  So, we looked around our local park for the perfect pine cone. Then, we drove to the pet store and asked for the ideal seed. That's when we learned that doves generally like to eat their food from the ground. Therefore, after we returned home we enthusiastically covered the ground in front of our apartment with a quarter pound of bird seed. Unfortunately, I hadn't considered the possible consequences.
Hope
        During the year prior, I had taken in a homeless cat. We named the small black and very loving cat "Hope." I had planned to keep her someday. I was waiting for my husband to return home. Perhaps we would buy a house and soon live together as one family. Meanwhile, I began to feed Hope. Then, each night I tucked her into to bed, a box with blankets, on our porch. I loved my homeless cat and I loved my doves!
        However, two days after I had spread the bird seed on the ground, Hope attacked a dove. The children in the neighborhood pounded on my door. "Come quick! The black cat just attacked a bird!" I ran outside and scooped up a snow white helpless and dying dove. Then, I shooed the kids away. I instructed my son to fetch the phone while I held the sweet soft bird close to my heart. The dove bled profusely while I cried. I prayed, "Please Lord, spare this bird! I am sorry I hurt Your special gift for me. Please forgive me." Next, I called every animal rescue organization in the area. I impatiently waited for a return call. All the while, I gently and compassionately held my wounded friend. I kissed his head and said, "I'm so sorry!" The bird warmly nestled his head to my chest.
the wounded dove
         All of sudden, my heart began to beat very fast. And with tears now overflowing, I started to understand. Could the precious and fragile life I held in my hands represent the life Jesus gave for me? Instantly, I remembered the scripture I had recently memorized with my son. "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5 NKJV). I sobbed! Then, I carefully placed the frail bird in shoe box and wept some more.
         Later, I received a return call from the local wild animal rescue organization. I drove a hour from our home and then tearfully said goodbye to that beautiful reminder of God's love. On the way home, I began to sing a song to my Lord and Savior. http://youtu.be/UjD0lv8hx5o 
I sang,
"How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss

The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross

My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there

Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished."

        The feeling of gratitude towards God in sparing me the consequences I truly deserved overwhelms me. And with Good Friday quickly approaching, I solemnly thank the Lord for His sacrifice up on that cross. I make a promise to my Lord and Savior. "You died for me, therefore I will live for You!"


 Please share your thoughts in the comments section below! 
To read this author's personal testimony please go to: http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate