Oct 22, 2012

Both Sinners, both Saved by the Grace of God!


I sipped my morning cup of coffee while my heart filled with self-pity. On this same day four years ago, I was arrested and charged with a felony. So much had happened since that bittersweet night. Yet, in spite of everything, my husband still hadn’t apologized for what he had done.  I began to wonder if I was even worthy of being used by God. I reasoned, “If I couldn’t bring my husband to the feet of Christ, who could I bring?”

It didn’t take long before I filled with self-defeat. I just wanted to go back to bed. I suppose Satan was hard at work. However, God wasn’t about to allow me to feel sorry for myself. Knowing me through and through, He filled me with a desire to read my email. So, I grabbed my laptop and as usual, I began to read my HEARTLIGHT daily verse.

Deuteronomy 10:21 “He is thy praise, and he is thy God, that hath done for thee these great and terrible things, which thine eyes have seen.” (KJV)

I smiled as I continued to read the accompanying thought. God was speaking directly to my heart!

“He is the God who did the most amazing miracles in us - he has turned our selfish hearts to do His will and turned our lives to do His eternal work in the world. Then, after doing those things in us, He has gifted us and empowered us to do those things He has placed in our hearts.”

Soon, I felt myself snapping out of my self-absorption. Around the same time, my youngest son approached me. He looked at me with hopefulness and asked, “Mom, can we go to Wal-Mart and spend some of my birthday money?” Trusting that God was behind my son’s new desire, I drove him to Wal-Mart.

 Just after we entered the store, the Lord quietly whispered to my heart. “Share your testimony with that man.” God said. I looked around and noticed a man covered in muscles and tattoos.  I walked over to the man and began to share my testimony. Right on cue, just after I had said, “I was arrested and charged with a felony,” the man sweetly interrupted me and asked, “YOU were charged with a felony?” Then, he shook his head in disbelief.

I paused for a moment and remained silent as the man began to describe how, in the past, he had murdered two men, but he was never caught or charged with a crime. I could hear his heart aching as he described his “unforgivable, nonredeemable and unpardonable” crimes.  The man was beating himself up just as I had done earlier.

Then, as if I was speaking to directly to my own heart, I began to share about the unending grace I had found in Jesus Christ. When I finished, the man said something that surprised me. He said, “I am a Christian too!” I smiled and replied, “You and I were both guilty. Yet, through Jesus Christ, we were both set free!” After I had said this, the man took a step backwards. He paused and said, "I lost my only bible recently. It had my name inscribed on it." I smiled and quickly replied, "It would be an honor for me to purchase a new bible for you. I will deliver your gift to you this week." Then, we said “goodbye.”

Soon after, my son and I walked around the department store looking for winter clothes and a special birthday toy.  As we walked along, I found myself in quiet prayer and thanksgiving to God. “Thank You Lord Jesus Christ for the night I was arrested because I found You. Thank You for the changes You have made in me. Thank You for Your glory and unending grace. But mostly Lord, thank You for counting me worthy to serve You. What an honor it is!”
Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
To read this author's personal testimony please go to: http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate