Aug 13, 2017

January 6, 2013: Unequally Yolked, Fighting Addiction, Loving God through Your Marriage

            Precious Redeemer and Friend, as I sit here with Your Word open upon my lap, I think about my marriage to LeeRoy. I wonder, “Will my husband will ever truly repent? Will he ever get sober? Oh LORD, Your Word tells me not to be discouraged. Please help me. I need You now.”
Later on
While driving our youngest son to school,  I noticed a bright and unnatural light shining in the distance. Curious about the origins of the light, I vowed to return. Therefore, on the way home, I drove to where the light still shined. After I pulled into the parking lot and had parked my car, I approached the first man I saw. The man appeared to be a security guard of some sort. He was dressed in warm and cozy clothing and covered in a reflective jacket. Without hesitation, I walked straight up to the man. Right away, I began to share my heart. "I am not sure why God has led me to you. Perhaps I am to share my story." Then, I shared my personal testimony with the man.
The man just stared at me with a perplexed look on his face. So, I continued to share my heart. “You see, my husband continues to abuse prescription medications. It’s affecting our family.” Suddenly it began to rain. Then, something very odd happened. An overpowering smell of incense filled the air where we both stood. The smell was very strong! For a moment, I stood in silence to try to make sense of all that was happening. While the sweet aroma engulfed me, my heart welled with painful thoughts of the state of my marriage. All the while, cold rain dripped on my sandals below. My toes began to sting.  
In my silence, the man began to speak. It took me a moment to comprehend what he was saying. When I realized he was quoting Scripture after Scripture in Spanish my heart started to warm. One particular Scripture began swirling in my head. Matthew 16:24 "Take up your cross and follow me." The man quoted.
 Then in English, he softly said, "Take the chains off your husband and let the Holy Spirit convict his heart. In God's timing, he will come to the Lord." He continued. "You must remember that you are walking in the light, and your husband is still in darkness. The only way that your husband will want to follow you, is if you show him grace." [1] At this point, I stopped the man and asked if he happened to be a Pastor. "Yes," the man said, "I'm a Spanish Pastor at the First Southern Baptist Church in Lancaster." I began to giggle as I thought out loud, "Of course You’d use a spotlight to guide me to a Pastor who would lead me to Your Truth."
 Afterward, I thanked the man for allowing Your Spirit to use him to speak directly to my heart. Then, he offered to say a prayer for me and my husband. I bowed my head and tried not to cry. But, with each word he spoke, I felt Your Spirit convict my heart. The tears began to flow as the fear that had held a grip on me disappeared and forgiveness made its way back in.
I returned to my car the moment he finished praying. Then, as I drove home, I turned on the radio. On a local Christian radio station, a song caught my attention. I immediately began to cry when the artist sang,
“So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, what's lost can be found.
You stand in the rain." [2]




[1] 1 John 3:19-20 “And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.” (KJV)

[2] “Stand in the Rain.” By Superchick. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/superchick/standintherain.html 

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate