Nov 13, 2011

Thanksgiving Day & Giving to the Poor Should go Hand in Hand

       
 
 Matthew 25:45 (NKJV) "Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me." 
 
        It was almost Thanksgiving Day, and for the first time, after eight years, my stepson was not coming home for the holiday. I felt sad and the sting of rejection. I decided to go grocery shopping for a three person meal. As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a homeless man I didn’t know. I pulled over to the curb and got out of my car. I handed the young man a bible and $5.00. After speaking with him for a few minutes I began to testify to him about God’s love. I was pleasantly surprised when he said he was a Christian too. I gave the young man my name and shook his hand. As we grasped hands, he looked at me with wonder in his eyes. He then asked, “You’re Donna?” After I nodded “Yes,” he said, “I have heard about you.” He proceeded to tell me how I was loved by one particular homeless man in our town. My heart melted. I cried all the way home that day, thanking God that I was making a difference in someone’s life.
      Without a doubt, the greatest gift of my life has been the gift of God's love. As a believer in our Lord Jesus Christ, I am commanded to share this love with others, especially those less fortunate than me. Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."(NKJV)  That's why this Thanksgiving Day will also be a day of alms-giving; a day of sending gifts to the poor. It is my true desire that while I am spending the day feasting and rejoicing, that the heart of the poor might rejoice with me!

If you are a victim of Hurricane Sandy, please feel free to contact me through the comment section below. I would love to pray for you personally.

To read the author's personal testimony, please go to:

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate