Mar 12, 2012

Christians are not Perfect!



1 John 1:8-9 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (NKJV)

This past week, I shared my personal testimony with one of the mothers from my son's little league baseball team. Afterward the woman said, "I know the Lord too!" Soon, we began to speak to one another during our son's weekly baseball practices. "How exciting to know another like-minded believer," I thought. I even shared with my husband,"Honey, one of the boys on Travis' team has strong and mature believers for parents! What a precious gift from God!"

Then, one afternoon during practice I told the woman about my conversation with my husband. I felt surprised when she appeared to walk away feeling upset. Later, the same woman approached me. With a serious look on her face, she said, "Donna, I want you to know what you said to your husband bothered me. You should know that I am only human. I will disappoint you!"

As I took a deep breath and felt my head tilt to the side, I softly began to explain how God had transformed me from a judgmental and self-righteous social worker to a full-time evangelist. I said, "Each day, I purposefully share the Gospel with unbelievers. So, meeting you and listening to you talk felt like a fresh breath of air. What a blessing it is to hear you unapologetically speak about your love for our Lord Jesus Christ." The woman appeared relieved to hear that I had not placed her high upon a pedestal. 

A few hours went by. Then as if out of nowhere, I started to giggle. I shook my head as I thought, "What a mature Christian thing for that woman to say. Of course, she is not perfect and is only human. No Christian is perfect. We are all human and we are bound to make mistakes." The situation called to mind a verse from 1 John 1:8-9. "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (NKJV). As I read the verse, I began to wonder, "Where would I be without You Lord?" Once again I felt humbled by the gift of His love!


Please share your thoughts in the comments section below! 

To read the first written and published Christian personal testimony please go to: http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/store.html

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate