May 28, 2019

How Speaking Persian can lead someone to Jesus Christ

I had become a regular at the dry cleaner around the corner. My husband wasn't satisfied with my ironing skills. So, each week, I'd take his work pants to the dry cleaner to be professionally pressed.
The couple who owned the business shared the same name as me. But that was not all. They were Christians too! How improbable in a city such as this, to find a business that faithfully displayed a famous picture of Jesus Christ!
One day, while visiting the dry cleaners, I noticed that a tall, middle-aged man was being trained behind the register. The man seemed kind and spoke with a very heavy Iranian accent. "Could he be among the many immigrants who have come to the Silicon Valley for work?" I wondered. "Perhaps if I learned a few words in Farsi, he'd feel welcome." I immediately thought to myself.
Then the owners, my Korean friends, shared with me that they were retiring. The long hours had taken a toll on their already declining health. The new employee was buying their dry cleaning business.
Within the next week, my friends were no longer running the dry cleaning business around the corner from our home. Yet, I was about to make a new friend.
Over the next year, I learned a few phrases in Farsi. Then each time I dropped off my husband's pants, I tried my best to speak to the Iranian man behind the counter in his native language. "Khoda hefzat konad Torah," I'd say as I'd turn to walk away. Each time, the man seemed to burst with joy and repeat, "Khoda hefzat konad." Over time, we grew close. More importantly, he seemed to be opening his heart to Jesus Christ. Then, today while dropping off my husband's work pants, 𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑔𝑖𝑓𝑡.
My Iranian friend had asked how I was doing. Perhaps he could see that I was struggling. I shared with him how sick I had been feeling lately. "The fluid build up in my head is causing me to feel ill," I said with my head bowed low. Then, I shared with the man how I was looking forward to my upcoming cancer surgery. The man was visibly moved. "You?" He asked. Then we both remained still for a moment and just smiled at each other. That's when the man said the most wonderful words in English to me. "God bless you!" He said. My heart filled with pure joy! The man had spoken the very same words I offered to him so many times before.

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate