Dec 5, 2011

God used the movie, "The Nativity Story" to touch my heart!



In December 2008, two months after I had surrendered my life to Christ, I was just beginning to comprehend what it meant to be a Christian. Even after having called myself a Christian for 38 years, I knew nothing about my Lord and Savior. But God was patient with me. He even used my love of watching movies to teach me His story.
 
When I first moved into the apartment, I could only afford Internet, not cable television. I was curious about the man called Jesus Christ. So, I streamed movies through the Internet. Because it was Christmas time, I decided to watch the movie “The Nativity Story.”  The movie wasn't new to me. In fact, for my birthday a few years prior, I had seen the movie with my husband in the theater. Still, I had never watched the birth of Christ with open eyes. Now, as I watched the rich history of Herod the Great being portrayed against the backdrop of the meek village of Nazareth, I was left to ponder what Mary, the mother of God, must have endured in carrying her baby-the Son of God!

I wrapped myself in a blanket and got cozy on the couch while the movie streamed from my laptop, that sat on the footrest at eye level in front of me. Almost immediately, tears started to roll down the side of my face and dripped into my right ear, as I felt deep appreciation for Mary and Joseph. How much faith had it taken for them to travel so far and in such a humble condition? I was moved by the sacrifice that Mary had to make at such a tender, young age by being pregnant with the Lord. Yet, she never grumbled or complained. Nor did she concern herself with what others’ thought. Instead, she simply obeyed the Lord, her God.  I watched history unfold in front of my eyes, and I thought, Joseph too, the earthly father of Christ, would have changed the course of history had he not obeyed the Lord in remaining married to Mary.
It has been three years since I first cried out for Christ to save me from my distress. Now, when I watch the "The Nativity Story," I think about how much my faith has grown. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I have learned is that if I am faithful to God, there is nowhere I can go that would separate me from the bond of His love. So each time I experience another trial, like Mary and Joseph, I obey, knowing that I will prevail by God's mercy if I simply cling to Him.  I want to thank You Lord for all You have done for me and my family and wish You a Happy Birthday. Welcome to our hearts!

Luke 2: 3-16 "So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city. Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. "For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. "And this [will be] the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!" So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, 'Let us now go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us.' And they came with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger." (NKJV)
To read the complete story, please go to: 

1 comment:

Sarah K said...

Howdy! I just happened across your post by way of Twitter when I searched "Nativity Story" and was greatly blessed by this. I just watched it again today and like you, was especially moved by the sacrifice and courage of Joseph and Mary. And also the faithfulness of our Lord. Keep on writing, you have great talent! Merry Christmas :)

Love,
Sarah K

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate