Dec 8, 2011

Was Ebenezer Scrooge Saved?

Before I sat down to write this blog, I put on the 1951 classic Christmas movie,  Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim as Scrooge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_%281951_film%29. The old black and white, now restored and in beautiful color, is said to capture the true essence of the Spirit of Christmas. Telling a story of redemption, this movie opens with the Song, "Hark the Herald Angels Sing." http://www.carols.org.uk/hark_the_herald_angels_sing.htm 

As I watched the opening credits fade in and out against an open book background, I listened carefully to the words of the song. And for the first time, I allowed them to penetrate my heart.

"Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

I had thought the movie would simply be comforting company. However, after only one scene, I was looking through a window at my own past behavior and considering the transformation that left me filled with unimaginable joy.

I watched the main character's interactions with others and pondered how similar my life was to the man, Ebenezer Scrooge. In the past, I too was cranky and difficult. And, I was abandoned by my father at a young age. As a result, I also closed my heart to others. Further, I used to rationalized my behavior, by comparing my actions to the actions of others. I often claimed, "I am no worse than anyone else." I even blamed others for my negative attitude.

Also similar to Scrooge, I too was chastised and warned of my ways. http://dlouyoung.blogspot.com/p/my-personal-testimony.html. Further, just as the Spirit revealed those lost opportunities for a joyous and peaceful life for Scrooge, the Holy Spirit revealed my past behavior to me. Finally, in the last moments of the movie, Scrooge experiences joy. He asks, "Oh, I don't deserve to be so happy. I can't help it! I just can't help it." I remember times when I had made the same comment.

However, there seems to be one main difference between transformation and his. I made the conscience effort to surrender my life to Jesus Christ. I repented for my past behavior. Then, I began a journey of reading God's Word everyday and spending time getting to know My Lord and Savior.

So, as the movie closed, I was left with an unsettling thought, "Even though Ebenezer Scrooge transformed his heart and began to consider the welfare of mankind, did he ever rest in peace knowing that true joy comes from the acceptance of Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior?"


Please share your thoughts in the comments section below! 

To read the first written and published personal testimony please go to: 

No comments:

Facebook

Total Pageviews

Translate